Payphones of the Future
The first Links have been installed in New York City. The city of New York expects to have 500 more units installed by July. About 7,500 wireless hotspots will be installed throughout the city to replace all the payphones eventually. These 9.5-foot tall kiosks are equipped with free Gigabit Wifi which will be available to all five boroughs.
Here’s some of the coverage for the highly anticipated LinkNYC project:
- Financial Times: First WiFi set to land on New York’s streets
- Gizmodo: NYC’s New Gigabit Wifi Hotspots Work Like Payphones From the Future
- Featured in Wired Magazine as one of the most looked forward to design events in 2016.
- The Wall Street Journal: New York City to Replace Pay Phones With Free Wi-Fi
- WNYC: Goodbye Pay Phones, Hello NYC
- Fast Company: New York’s Old Payphone Are About to Pump Out Free Public Wi-Fi
- Crain’s New York Business: Wi-Fi Kiosks Coming Soon to a Former Payphone Near You
- NY Daily News: New York to Start Replacing Payphones with Optic Fiber Wi-Fi Kiosks
- amNewYork: City Begins Rollout of LinkNYC Wi-Fi Kiosks
- Metro: New Yorkers to Soon Get ‘Super-fast,’ Free Public Wi-Fi Throughout the City
- Bloomsberg Business: New York City Unveils Its First Super-Fast WiFi Kiosks
- Yahoo! Finance: Forget Pay Phones, New York City Bets on Free Wi-Fi
- Time: NYC to Swap Pay Phones for Free Wi-Fi Hotspots
- Gothamist: Brace for the “Fastest Internet You’ve Ever Used” at These Free Sidewalk Kiosks
- engadget: 500 of NYC’s free WiFi Kiosks will be Installed by July
- New York Business Journal: Here are the WiFi kiosks that will replace N.Y.C. payphones
- Observer: Afternoon Bulletin: Wi-Fi Kiosks to Replace Aging Phone Booths
- Politico New York: LinkNYC payphone wi-fi to launch beta phase in mid-January
- Associated Press: New York City Will Replace Pay Phones With Wi-Fi Hotspots
- Inhabitat: NYC begins converting 7,500 old pay phone booths into Wi-Fi hotspots
- KnowTechie: Free Wi-Fi coming to NYC with LinkNYC
- PCMag.com: Farewell NYC Pay Phones, Hello Wi-Fi Hotspots
- Marketplace: Wi-Fi kiosks going up in New York City
CIVIQ Smartscapes‘ role in LinkNYC is bringing together the technology and components into a structure that’s tough enough to survive on the streets of New York, whilst still being attractive and appealing. The structures go through rigorous testing to make sure they’re reliable through the harsh conditions of the urban environment and extreme weather.
View some of the photos from the installation below.